Monday November 30th 2020
North West Highlands Geopark Limited
Situated in the far North West of Scotland, the North West Highlands Geopark is a 2000km² area designated by UNESCO for its internationally important landscapes and geological heritage but also in recognition of its management with a holistic concept of protection, education and sustainable development.
The North West Highlands Geopark Limited is a small charity which manages UNESCO status for the North West Highlands. It’s vision is for the North West Highlands ‘To be a thriving and sustainable rural economy working with local people to conserve and capitalise on the geological heritage of the Geopark in partnership with local government, relevant agencies and local businesses.’
Thanks to support from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, the Charity is appointing a freelance Fundraising and Development Specialist to lead the update and implementation of the fundraising strategy, working with the Geopark Coordinator and a small Board of volunteers. The Fundraising and Development Specialist will focus on raising funds through application to grant-making bodies and a fundraising campaign to be identified. Occasional individual prospect management may be required.
Fundraising and Development Specialist
- Fundraising: bid writing; securing funding as part of a consortium; delivery of fundraising campaigns; securing funds from organisations and eventually individuals
- To be responsible for maintaining and growing North West Highlands Geopark Ltd’s income.
- Provide a regular report for the Board
- Develop innovative approaches to raising funds.
- Identify funding streams, develop and lead applications.
- Manage the preparation, writing and submission of bids to funders
- Update and implement the fundraising strategy to maximise income.
- Manage fundraising marketing and communications, including messaging on social media.
- Preparation of supporting documents when liaising with partners and organisations for fundraising purposes.
- Record keeping and documentation of all fundraising activity with organisations and individuals; ensuring donor relationships are recorded and tracked on the database.
- Develop and maintain relationships with funders, organisations and members.
- Ensure all grant and Charity administration, reports and record keeping are maintained.
- Be flexible and willing to help with a wide range of organisational tasks to make North West Highlands Geopark a successful organisation.
Key Targets & Priorities
- To identify funding opportunities for the Charities ‘Aspirational Projects’ that will also build a reserve of unrestricted funds
- To submit at least one major and ten minor funding bids by 31st March 2021
- Develop a management system for fundraising and donor/funder communications
What kind of person are we looking for?
Fundraising expertise – you will have significant experience of developing and implementing fundraising strategies, organising and delivering fundraising campaigns (events and digital) and securing a high level of funds from a range of sources including grant funders.
Communications – you will need to demonstrate examples of excellent written skills, good IT and social media skills and good administration generally.
Partnership development – good interpersonal skills and experience of working with diverse range of complex partnerships, consortia and/ or membership arrangements are key.
Project management – you will have great organisational skills and have experience of managing projects from inception to evaluation and working under your own steam. You will work with the Geopark Coordinator.
Creativity – you will be full of ideas, thinking outside of the box and can contribute your creative thinking into the successful development of the Charity.
Mucking in – working in a small team with tight resources you will not be shy about helping out with getting things done but in return you will get flexible working arrangements, fun and independence.
Positive and solution-focussed – you will be a problem solver, able to find practical and constructive solutions to challenges that arise in the course of your work.
The cause – you will be passionate about our vision and be aware of the issues affecting small charities.
Flexibility – you will be able to work effectively from home and attend virtual meetings.
Scope And Limits Of Authority
The Fundraising and Development Specialist reports to the Coordinator and works closely with the Treasurer, and other Trustees.
The Post Holder Will
- Be responsible for delivering challenging income targets and as such play a key part in the overall fundraising effort
- Be expected to manage their own priorities and to pro-actively deliver North West Highlands Geopark income generation
- Be expected to travel on occasion. Some evening and weekend work may be expected.
The post holder must operate at all times in accordance with the approved policies and procedures of North West Highlands Geopark Ltd and act in accordance with the values and ethos of the organisation. You will be self-employed, but asked to report regularly to the Board.
The responsibilities of this role will normally include all duties described in this Job Description and any additional or different duties, which the Charity may require from time to time.
- Non-profit Organization Management
- Civic & Social Organization
Budget: Up to £5000
Timescale: Until March 31st 2021
To Apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your c.v. and a covering letter detailing how you would approach this contract.
Deadline: 11th December 2020